Winter quinoa salad with butternut squash, pear and toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup quinoa
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 T olive oil
1 small butternut squash
1 small pear
6-8 sage leaves
1/2 T dijon mustard
1/4 t lemon juice
1) Peel and chop the squash, then spread on a cookie sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for twenty minutes at 400, tossing half way through.
2) Meanwhile cook your quinoa. Bring water and quinoa toa boil, then allow to simmer ten minutes until water is absorbed.
3) Toast your sesame seeds in a pan or toaster oven while the quinoa cooks.
4) Peel and slice pear. Fry sage leaves in a sauce pan with olive oil, making sure not to burn them. Take them out and place them on a paper towel to dry, and add the pear to the saucepan and saute for about five minutes.
5) Whisk together lemon juice, dijon and olive oil.
6) Fold everything into the quinoa and enjoy!
Makes 2 servings